Last night (Thursday 1st November), all students that are aiming to attempt their Dan grading on Saturday 17th November, took their Jiyu Kumite portion of the exam.
With such a large number of students aiming to grade in a few weeks, the whole lesson was devoted to this!!!
How does it work?
The Jiyu Kumite part of your Dan grading requires you to fight 3,4 or 5 karate-ka for a minute each consecutively. The number of karate-ka is determined by the grade being attempted:
- Intermediate Dan – 3 Karate-ka
- Shodan – 3 Karate-ka
- Nidan – 4 Karate-ka
- Sandan – 5 Karate-ka
It is an extremely tough task, both mentally and physically pushing students to their limits. The lesson started with those going for intermediate black belt up first, followed by those grading for black belt then 2nd Dan and finally Warwick who is grading for Sandan.
- Mark Ladyman (1st – Sensei Paul Raymond, 2nd – Tomasz Whalley, 3rd – Tony Ellett)
- Tony Ellett (1st – Mark Ladyman, 2nd – Neil Fisher & 3rd – Wayne Griggs)
- Wayne Griggs (1st – Tony Ellett, 2nd – Sensei Des Allen & 3rd – Hans Barnard)
- Hans Barnard (1st – Wayne Griggs, 2nd – Sensei Jo Potts & 3rd – Susan Page)
- Susan Page (1st – Hans Barnard, 2nd – Sandy Sahota & 3rd – Andrew Leedham)
- Andrew Leedham (1st – Susan Page, 2nd – Tony Bygrave & 3rd – Nick Kozuch)
- Nick Kozuch (1st – Andrew Leedham, 2nd – Tomasz Whalley, 3rd – Matt Sanderman)
- Matt Sanderman (1st – Nick Kozuch, 2nd – Sensei Jo Potts, 3rd – Neil & 4th – Ian Drew)
- Ian Drew (1st – Matt Sanderman, 2nd – Tony Bygrave, 3rd – Sensei Steve Pearce & 4th Warwick Grey)
- Warwick Grey (1st – Iain, 2nd – Sensei Paul Raymond, 3rd – Sensei Jo Potts, 4th – Sensei Des Allen & 5th – Sensei Paul Grimsey)
Everyone did extremely well and finished on their feet! Sensei Gavin Paul commented that the standard was good, with it getting better as the higher grades came on. Everyone Passed!
Thanks must go to those who came down to help on the day, without willing karate-ka’s it can be very tough filling in the numbers for each bout. Thank you to Sensei’s Gavin, Paul R, Paul G, Owen, Luke for organising, timing and overall smooth running.
Now just the small feat of the grading in a few weeks, good luck everyone.